Tuesday, January 29, 2013

My Top Ten Animated Features

I was asked recently on Twitter what my favorite animated feature is.  My gut screamed Toy Story but then I doubted myself.  So I put all of my favorite animated films on a spreadsheet to compete with each other in heats.  Yes, I'm a geek.  My gut was right, Toy Story won every heat, but just barely.

Below are my top ten animated features of all time.  And yes they do seem to focus on more modern films.  I am aware of and have watched the most significant (and insignificant) animated features.  Disney does indeed have a great legacy.  But that doesn't mean those classics are beating out the modern films when it comes to quality, art or story.

I tried to rule out "significance" to the genre as a factor in determining what the greatest films are.  Determine for yourself how I fared.


1 Toy Story  1995 Pixar
2 Coraline 2009  Laika
3 Wreck-It Ralph  2012 Disney
4 Fantastic Mr Fox 2009 Fox
5 The Lion King  1994 Disney
6 Ponyo  2008 Ghibli
7 Rango 2011 ILM
8 Akira 1988 TMS
9 Kiki's Delivery Service 1989 Ghibli
10 How to Train Your Dragon  2010 Dreamworks


      

No comments:

Post a Comment