Monday, March 24, 2014

The HD Battle

So I've been comparing my HD feeds from cable, Blu-Ray, streaming and my HD antenna in my home theater.

For live events, nothing beats the HD antenna. It's much better than the HD feed I used to get from cable. This is because the signal isn't compressed like it is over cable.  So if the choice is between cable or antenna, antenna wins. For movies, streaming or BD is a better choice.

I'm streaming HD using a Roku. I have it hooked into my LAN and it still glitches or jumps on occasion. It's better than cable for movies and doesn't have the ads from using an antenna. The surround works well. But it uses more bandwidth and when turned on can cause the picture to jump.

My Blu-ray has the clearest picture and best sound quality. The UI isn't as easy as the Roku and when the disc is spinning it does create a bit of sound vibration.

Each format has its strengths and weaknesses. Except for cable which seems so 20th century at this point. If it's a live event like a sporting event, use the HD antenna. If it's a TV show use the Roku. For cinematic experience, the Blu-ray is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment